Saturday, January 26, 2008

Levis button fly commercial 1989



Well it was just a matter of time before this ended up on the net. It seems like so long ago since I did this commercial. For those of you that do not remember this commercial, it was one of the first series of Levi's 501 commercials that were directed by Spike Lee. I remember seeing a commercial on MTV that asked "what do you do in your 501's?". There was a number at the end so I called. The next thing I know I get a phone call from some studio that says they want to meet me and film me flying my kites! So I say cool. About a week or two later, two people come down to Miami and basically hang with me and my friends as we fly these kites on Crandon Beach. They film us and tell us that they will "keep in touch". About a week later I get a call from Spike Lee's offices telling me that Spike wants to come down and film me for the commercial. CRAZY HUH!

So on the day that we are supposed to shoot, my friends, Erin, Eddie, Frank, Bridgette, and Pete come along with me. We got the Hollywood treatment, a mobile home, wardrobe (although I wore my own clothes and they paid me for each personal piece), craft service and all. It was cool. So anyways, as we are hangin out, my friends and I are cutting up as we always do and they get such a kick out of us that they end up putting everyone in the commercial. The rest is Levi's 501 history.

Man the good old days. BTW, I still have the kites and the 501 shirt. Good thing I dont have the hat and the haircut anymore!

C.

3 comments:

Agi said...

Too bad this doesn't exist in an HD version.

Carl "Charlie" Arrogante said...

Man, back then they didn't even have flat screens yet! OUCH!

Anonymous said...

it's soooo cool that you were in the commercial plus you met spike lee!! so jealous! :-P